Tuesday, August 26, 2008

sights, shopping and sappy goodbyes!


Today a few of us went to the 'dirt market'. Basically a flea market. Didn't find much in the way of souveniers but it was an interesting part of Beijing that we hadn't seen before. We had lunch in the "house of dumplings" and then went back to the Silk Market (which has little silk) and I traded some pins (Olympic pins are quite the trade item) for a few pieces of jewelry.

lots of beads at the dirt market

dirt market wares

Tonight we had a 'staff party' with regular staff as well as hosts. Two of my four hosts came and it was a sweet but very sad experience. They gave me a few small gifts and we hugged and cried. They held onto me and didn't want to let me go. It was quite overwhelming for me. I hadn't expected to affect anyone in this way on this trip. I don't think they had expected this either. One of my hosts will be coming to the US next year to study at the Univ. of Michigan. I hope I will see him when he comes. The others are studying here in Beijing and unless I travel back I doubt I will ever see them again. But I guess what we should take away from this is the joy of how different cultures can join together for a common goal and how we learn tolerance and acceptance of each other. The Chinese people are really quite lovely. Their government isn't the best and the fact that their population is so large can be challenging not to mention the difficult language barrier but really, they are wonderful people.

me with the infamous Elana... best of friends!

Isaac and Jessica, two of my hosts...such sweet 'kids'

forming a heart...to express their love...

Okay, so I'm being a little sappy here...well, after an experience like this (and a couple of glasses of wine) I'm allowed aren't I?

Last day tomorrow. We are going to try to go to the Summer Palace and then get a foot massage! Dinner somewhere fun and soon, homeward bound!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't expect more and probably would not have checked - but since I am on your notification list, I saw you last post. Yes you were getting a little sappy but I would have expected that. Sounds like you are still enjoying the experience. I bet you will be glad to get home though.

Lucky goes back to Desert Dog today and I have told him you will be back on Thursday. I really didn't know if you got back early enough to pick him up on Thursday or if you would on Friday.

I will be in CA but will call you when I get back Friday. We'll have to have a Welcome Home celebration this weekend (small and unplanned of course).

See you soon!

Unknown said...

Yeah! EB gets sappy - no more making fun of Chris and I!!!
Be careful of that foot massage - you know they like to soak your feet in tubs of water with minnows that eat away your dry skin!!!
Chris and I want to take you out for Chinese food when you get home - how does that sound? ha,ha,ha
We can't wait to see you and are soooo glad you had a wonderful, one in a lifetime experience!
Travel safe and thanks for sharing your experiences with all of us!
Tam

Anonymous said...

oh well, if you're sappy, i'm even sappier 'cause i'm reading your entry with big ol' tears in my eyes

at the office, yet

so so so so glad you took this amazing opportunity and made the most of it -- enjoy your last day, buy snacks for the plane ride home, travel safe, and we'll catch up when we can

however, if they divert your flight to newark, i know somewhere you could stay for awhile. . .

scratch that, you now have at least TWO places in the metro NY area you could stay, considering The Uncle has a cool place of his own

talk to you soon -- i did miss you but didn't want to mention it 'til now and make you all wistful. . .

now bring me back one of those amazing warriors (full size) AND one of the grey ombre robes from the opening ceremonies

or i'll never speak to you again

heh

love from your Cuz