Friday, August 15, 2008

Sleep takes over....and more

My apologies for skipping yesterday. I fell asleep on the bus as we were driving to an event (swimming heats) and when we got back around 11 I crashed. I have faint memories of reading the comments and thinking my Kennedy cousins had posted a comment but that might have been a dream? I'll need to double check...

I was exceptionally tired because although I had the morning off and again could have slept in, instead I "offered" to take a couple of members of this new group to the Forbidden City on their free morning because it wasn't a part of their tour. Well, a couple of people turned into 25! So now the pressure was on...I got them all in taxis (with their little pieces of mandarin written paper). It wasn't as easy as it sounds because taxi drivers don't like going to the Forbidden City..they say there is too much traffic...???huh???...I had to let some irrate taxi drivers leave and wait for the next one. You really don't want to get into a taxi in China with a driver who is yelling in Chinese the whole time. I did it once and it's very unnerving. I met them at Tiananmen Square - and immediately we were down to 21 people...4 had been dropped of somewhere else probably by an irrate taxi driver!

Tiananmen Square

Through Tiananmen Sq and the crowds and another 4 stragglers gone, then one husband was lost ...by the time we got to the Forbidden City I had about 13 people. (what do they expect with an American who has only been there twice?). I took the 13 through and gave them what information I had learned (embellishing as only I can) and then we caught taxis back to the hotel to get ready to go to swimming.
P.S. everyone made it back safely with lots of stories to tell, even the lost husband to my great relief!

We saw the men's 1500 meter qualifing races...that was hard to watch because each race lasted 14 minutes or so and my eyes kept closing . How embarrassing to fall asleep at an Olympic event!
Our group is 1/2 American and 1/2 Australians...these are some of the Australians...

Athletes watching fellow athletes across the room



Men's 100 meter relay (USA came in first in this qualifying round with a world record!)

Did you hear that the Williams sisters and Federer are all out in the tennis? Guess if they don't have a financial reward they aren't too motivated.

Tonight we go to Athletics and get to see the Men's 100 meter final...fastest man in the world! That will be very exciting!
Tomorrow we are at the Velodrome (I'll think of you Nathan...) and then to the Great Wall! Another big day.

Lastly...does this dog look odd? I think he is a 'clone' of the 'Lucky dog' I left behind. Look closely...he's wet, getting a bath, yet he smiles???? My 'Lucky dog' would never smile during a bath...never!! What have they done with my dog? hum...Guess we are both on vacation!

No comments: