Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Event-full day

No work this morning and I should have used the time to sleep in and get some rest, but I was up at 6 a.m. I wanted to get to the Swimming finals to see Michael Phelps win ...again! I had to catch a bus...(my first experience on the bus in China) on my way to the subway. Have no fear though, I had my handy little piece of paper with mandarin writing on it. Showed it to the bus attendant and I was on my way! I was able to see Michael win the Butterfly and the men's 100 meter relay...It was so cool.

Unfortunately, my camera's battery died and I can't download any photos until I charge it up...so sorry if you were hoping to see Mr. Phelps (who has a wing span of about 1000 yards)...you'll have to wait or check out my previous post.

After swimming I met the group to take them to tennis. It was the first day of tennis so I wasn't expecting to see anyone exciting play...well...(if only I had my camera working!) we had tickets to see China vs Estonia (women's singles), China won, and then, if you can believe it, the number one player in the world, Roger Federer vs. a virtual unknown from the Czech Republic. (I kept thinking of Tod & Tami...you would have loved to have been here!). We had great seats and boy what a match. This kid up against Roger gave him a good game and at one point had him worried I think (I know I was!). His serve was over 211 kil/hour (like 120 mph)...wild!

After Roger won, (did I mention what a cutie he is?), we were then treated to Serena Willams vs. a France girl. Serena had a very tough time as well and almost lost, but pulled it out in the last set. She had a little temper tantrum which I thought was very bad form...she even broke her racket. Very disappointing behavior when you are representing your country.

It's after midnight again...need to be up at 5 am. The bags under my eyes are getting HUGE!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should see our eyes!

Unknown said...

Did you need to tell me Roger was cute - come on! Although, he's no Patrick Rafter. I've been searching for tennis on the tele, but no luck! Thanks for the update. It would have been fine with me if Serena had lost! I'm somewhat opinionated when it comes to tennis. Imagine if they had golf - Chris would have a thing or two to say - assuming she and John could "see" it!!! (just kidding guys!) And now, I'm going to go watch TV and see Michael (Mr. Wingspan) win his medals! Thanks again for the great updates!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I have such a crush on Michael Phelps. . .yes, I know, I'm old enough to be his mom. . .but he's adorable out of the pool and BREATHTAKING in the pool -- wow! He looks more fish than man!

Get some sleep, sweetie!

Love from your Cuz

Anonymous said...

This is for your "Cuz." You win the prize for the most comments. Isn't this blog the best. EB must be getting some sleep because we got nothing new today!

Raelene said...

I have to concur with John. You should see our eyes. I had to take a one hour nap at work today. I was exhausted. I just can't turn off the TV and go to bed. The Games have been way too exciting. What an Olympic junkie I am. And this blog isn't helping!!! Not only do I have to watch every event I can possibly watch, but I have to check your blog every night. Reminds me of Mondays when Jeff was on his mission. Do as much as you can...you can sleep when you get home! Go USA!!!