Friday, August 8, 2008

Beijing Olympic Ceremonies 2008!!

Wow, what an experience! I don’t know where to start. It was amazing!! I had goose bumps all night. The beginning was incredible with the boom of the fireworks and the drummers…incredible! The precision was amazing too, not only on the field with all the people but also between the fireworks and the show. Everything was perfectly on cue! Stunning, I felt so fortunate to be there. (but boy was it HOT!!!)

Here are some photos that might say more than I ever could...
locals lined the walkway and took pictures of us as we walked in...we felt like celebrities!

the "golden" ticket (left) and infinity pass (right)

There were about 20 dogs (bomb sniffers I think) resting on the Olympic Green after sweeping the area (notice how hot they are?)...I know Susie, I wanted to run and pet them too but I restrained myself...

over 2000 drummers...drumming w/their hands...deafening and spectacular!

can you believe these lights are all people? That's what's so amazing here...everything is people powered...


The Chinese cheered for Cuba and Russia (communist countries) and Pakistan ?(we couldn't figure that one out) and we wondered what they would do when the U.S. entered. But they cheered just as loud and of course we were yelling too!

the fireworks were beyond belief and went on for at least 15 minutes after the ceremony. These are as I was walking out.
The Birds Nest...as we were leaving. We left the hotel at 3 pm and arrived back at 2 am! This girl is 'running on empty' but enjoying every minute.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an experience. Almost worth leaving Lucky! He's doing great and we recorded the opening ceremonies so I could show him where you were. Thanks for all the pictures. It makes the Olympics seem closer. Have a GREAT time!

joan said...

WOW!!! I can't even imagine how exciting this all must be. Did you steal those flags from the little boy that is an earthquake survivor? Joan

Unknown said...

We watched every minute of it and I just kept saying "I hope she's there, I hope she's there!" Wahoo! I'm sooo happy for you. What a spectacular event. Just so you know - there were 2008 drummers! and 2008 lighted people - the Chinese and their number significants! Did you hear how many Chinese people tried to get married on 8/8/08 too? Keep us posted - we're almost right there with you!

Raelene said...

What an incredible experience you are having. I have been glued to the TV for 24 hours. I need sleep!!!! Not as much as you do, however. How spectacular was that opening ceremony???? I thought the SLC ceremonies were spectacular, but Beijung pulled out all the stops. I guess having 17 million people in your city (and hosting the summer games) affords you the opportunity to GO BIG. I'm so happy for you. Keep the words and pictures coming. GO USA!!!!

JFK said...

Ok Cousin.......your amazing. Wow, what an experience and I'm very happy for you. Soak up every second so we have a weeks worth of conversation for my next trip to ski country. Enjoy the trip and be well! JFK