Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Olympic Dash around Beijing

We had tickets today for the Basketball semi-finals but was disappointed to find out that we would not be seeing the US play. Our tickets were for Spain/Croatia and China/Lith. Still interesting but being the HUGE basketball fan that I am (not), I decided that I would drop the group at basketball and then hop on the subway and head to the Olympic Green to try to catch the Sync. swimming final. The thought was a good one, but I'm not sure it was all that practical. It took me about an hour & 1/2 to get to the Swim cube...I was about 20 minutes late for the event and the place was packed. I couldn't find a seat anywhere in the 'regular people' section and just when I was thinking about leaving I remembered my pass...I soon found myself over on the media side of the room hanging with the press and Olympic family. :)

packed stadium - camera man w/ the judges sitting in down below in blue

I enjoyed watching the event but didn't much like their choices in music. Way too dramatic for me...I wanted to hear a little Beach Boys or something. I did get to see the Russian team, they were amazing...they got practically all 10's and I couldn't spot one single error! (as if I could). I want to see the team events later this week...

After swimming I had to make a made dash back to basketball. I walked with complete focus and determination. I'm sure there are many photos with a streak of baby blue in them as I crossed picture lines (multitudes of people taking family pictures with the Birds Nest, Swimming Cube, Olympic flame etc...in the distance) in my attempt to find the quickest routes. I got to the subway in 20 minutes (with the ever present sweat dripping down my back) and began to strategize in my head about how I could get a seat on the longest part of the ride.

I'm learning that there is a system to getting a seat on the subway in China and it requires positioning and careful watch of your surroundings. You have to position yourself in the middle section of the seating area and then try to determine who will be likely to leave first...when you've got it all sussed out, you wait...then you move as quickly as possible and it's best to have your butt slipping into the seat just as the person leaving is slipping out. I had to transfer twice and when I was on the final leg I made my move...actually it was just pure luck. I must have looked pretty tired because when a seat opened up this Chinese lady would not allow anyone to sit in it and pointed for me to. (most times I'm racing a man for a seat...and they usually win...no chivelry here!). Anyway it was glorious!! I had about 20 minutes off my feet! And I actually fell completely asleep and in dream mode before I realized I was at my stop. (so all totaled, 3 hour transport for 40 minutes of swimming) yea,I know, but it's the Olympics! ..and I made it back to basketball in time for the end of the 3rd quarter of the second game. China lost unfortunately but I was glad that when they lost this far along it wasn't to the US.


Yao Ming...one big dude, China loves him! and their other stars...these were all Chinese reporters trying to get an interview.

This new group is working out pretty well...but they like to stay up and chat. It's after midnight and I should be closing up but I still have a few here drinking wine and chatting....it's likely to be a very long night!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey EB
Sounds like a better day than Monday. Thinking of you while watching at home. As for Elana, well you have an idea how I would have responded. Y S F B, T Y B & S I. Can you translate?
Luv
NY Bill

EB said...

can't figure it out...but I'm guessing it's not G rated???
It's okay though...I finally told Elana to 'just stop w/the blame' and she actually apologized. Today she was all sugar and spice...

Anonymous said...

My word, how are you EVER going to settle back into your everyday life after this?!?!?!??! Amazing!

Frankly, I'm not sure I get sync swimming as an Olympic sport but hey, who am I. . .

Loved the subway story -- by the way, getting a seat on the NY subway works much the same way. . .I always cringe when someone insists I take a seat, wondering if a) I should just give in and color the grey in my hair or b) do I look THAT bad??!?!?!?

I know you have a thousand and one things to do everyday but I'm so loving your updates -- more, please!

love from your NYC Cuz