Sunday, August 24, 2008

Last Day on the Green

My last day on the Olympic Green started at 10 am in the Birds Nest. We saw the soccer final game. It was fun but the game itself was pretty dull. Argentina won 1-0.

Nigeria vs. Argentina

kick off

Gold medal ceremony

The media are like swarms of bees, locust whatever...they are everywhere!

After the game I left the group and went over to the Swim cube to see the team Sync. Swimming. I took my place in the Olympic Family area and watched as Russia took the Gold. I think it's an interesting sport but all that slapping of the water gets a little old. During the presentation of the medals I had a little laugh. The other day when I watched the sync duet finals I started talking with this women from Aruba. She was giving me all the ins and outs of the sport. I thought she was nice and thought nothing of it.

Today as they were about to give out the medals I realized they had just introduced her! She was one of the officials (former Olympian) giving out the medals! Pretty cool huh?

US team first in the water...they came in 6th I think...




After the ceremony I went over to see the Artistic Gymnastics but found out that it was held in a completely different place...and the place I was at was having the handball gold medal game between Russia and Norway. Now I know nothing about this game and found it to be a little strange but I sat down and watched it anyway. Norway won...




Gold medal ceremony for Norway

Everywhere I tell you!!


These girls had to train for months to know exactly how to hold and deliver the medals! Bet you never even took notice!

After the handball I went over to the Today show. The were filming a segment for Sunday ...none of the regulars were there. Then I met up with a friend and we went to the Diving finals.

We walked right by the diving platform right before the event...the divers were all practicing!

Can you believe that I have seen what I've seen and done all this? I can't. It's truly overwhelming.

The Closing Ceremonies are tonight and I know you are expecting that I will be there in the audience but I won't be. They are pretty short on tickets (infinity pass doesn't work for this event!) and none of my staff, nor my partner were able to go to Opening Ceremonies so they will go and I will not. To be honest I'm not upset about it. I'm actually a little relieved. If I was offered a ticket I would definitely go but I'm relieved because I know exactly how hot it will be and how long it will go and mostly how many people I will have to push and shove through!! Tonight I'm just happy to sit in my little room all alone!!! and watch like you on TV...except I won't know what's going on because it will all be in Chinese!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The USA sync swimmers took 5th not 6th, because the Japanize were assessed a penalty for touching the bottom. I thought the USA was far better than the Japanize anyway. I actually thought that the USA's routine was one of the most entertaining. I love watching it - slapping or no slapping. I can't believe they can hold their breath that long and generate the power for the lifts without touching!

No I can't believe you have done all you have done and it certainly was an experience of a lifetime. I hope Chicago gets 2016!

See you soon. Lucky sends his love.

Anonymous said...

Hi EB
Sounds like this has been an incredible experience for you. You still have a few weeks to go, right?
See you went you get back.
Bill W