Thursday, July 24, 2008

An Olympic day out and about in Beijing

Today we all loaded into buses and treked around Beijing looking at the various Olympic venues. We were given instructions on where we will have the buses go, how to get them into a venue and where and how to get them out. It's all very organized and very critical. It was good for us to see the distances between the various sights and the hotels we will be working with.

this is the 'Workers Gymnasium' where the boxing will be held. The white tents are where spectators will go through security.
this is the 'football' (meaning soccer) stadium.

and this is the infamous Bird's nest (Opening & Closing Ceremonies as well as some other events) named because they want all the birds (people) of the world to fly (come) to the nest (Olympics). get it???

FYI the haze in all my photos has nothing to do with my poor picture taking abilities...it's the 'you know what' in the air here in China.

Have I ever mentioned how hot it is here? And HUMID? Really it is hot and humid! And at many of the events spectators will have a 30 to 40 minute walk to get to the event. I worry about that in conjunction with the heavy heat. Water, walking shoes and cool clothes are a necessity!

As a matter of trivia Beijing's population is just a mere 17 million...for the city...17 million!! I can't even imagine that and I'm here! In addition to the people there are 3 million cars and can you guess how many bikes? 9 million! And the Chinese have 'bike commuting' down to a science. They are not bike riders or cyclists, in my opinion they are bike commuters. They even have full-on lanes for the bikes. It's quite impressive.
The other day as I was crossing the street...ducking behind a small group of people so I wouldn't be hit by a car speeding by, I looked up and bearing down on me was a two wheeled little old man who would have taken me out in a heartbeat if I hadn't had my twinkle toes in motion. It was somewhat un-nerving! To cross a street in Beijing I've learned that you have to watch out for any and all moving objects!
this guy is a rookie...the next frame in my camera was way too 'messy' to show you...
everyone rides ...

tomorrow I meet with CoSport, the company I'll be working with under Jet Set. We meet with the hotel that I'll be working with on Saturday. Hopefully I'll have a good idea of what my job duties will be by then.

Rumor has it we will get out early so a few of us are going to try to head to the Forbidden City in the afternoon...We went to the silk market tonight which is right by my hotel...what an experience! It's tough to get out without buying something and they have everything (but now that I mention it, I don't recall seeing any silk?)...Rolex, Breitling, Coach, Polo etc etc...(of course all knock offs)...they love to say "beautiful lady...you are so beautiful" of course who wouldn't want to hear that??? Anyone need any name brand items?...or sorta name brand?

I'm having a glass of wine as I write this as a toast to the Ladies in Tahoe!! Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The gals are gathering in Mtn. View and are glad you are having a glass of wine to toast us. We will be having many and thinking of you in the smog! Still waiting for the pictures of you in you uniform!

Anonymous said...

The silk market! Ach, I am so envirous! But wow, the air quality -- looks like you could break off a piece and chew on it! Gah!

I know you must be knackered and overwhelmed by all the info but I absolutely love being able to "share" this trip with you!

Maybe in addition to the Power Bars we should have packed you a spare tank of O2!

Have fun, stay cool and keep undating!

much love,
Your Cuz