Friday, July 25, 2008

Elizabeth strikes Olympic Gold!!

Today we met again with CoSport and I think I know what I'm doing now, the fog is lifting (but not the smog). Another gal and I will be working at the Beijing Capital Xindadu Hotel together managing the ins/outs, food and beverage, hospitality and transport for the guests we have. I spent some time with my partner, she's from Houston and totally opposite from me but we get along great and both want the same thing from this experience.

In our meeting we discussed how the programs will work and what we should do, can do, can't do. They are hoping to get tickets for staff to see events but they won't be able to get many. Our accredidations (sp?) will allow us to get into the venue but not past the ticket taker, and not to any actual events. UNLESS of course you are one of the few, who get the 'infinity pass'. This pass allows you carte blanc into everything, Olympic Houses, Olympic Family areas, Hospitality House and most especially to all Olympic events! I don't know if I mentioned that I am one of the few who haven't gotten their accredidation yet, but my partner did and she has access to quite a few places but no venues. My fingers are crossed...

After work ended at 2 a few of us decided to visit the Temple of Heaven. I wanted to see what the subway was all about so I got directions and we headed off. Janie, you would be proud...the subway was as busy as NYC! It was pretty clean and orderly overall and we felt mostly safe. China just opened a few new lines for the Games and there is a good chance we were on those trains. But overall a good, although crowded, experience. (and very cheap!)

a little help from an Olympic volunteer
our train arrives...just a little full
and stayed full

and so did the subway stations...
The Temple of Heaven was great. Filled with symbolism and numerology..it was a major place for Chinese royalty to come to pray for Good Harvests. Everything is built for the view of the Gods, round temples in a square garden...because it's believed that the earth is square and Heaven is round. The Temple of Prayer for Good Harvests has pillars that symbolize the 4 seasons & 12 months of the year.
entrance to the Temple of Prayer for Good Harvests
The Temple of Prayer for Good Harvests...and proof that I was there!

inside the Temple of Prayer for Good Harvests - you can see two of the four pillars to symbolize the 4 seasons.

And while I was touring around the Temple of Heaven I received a phone call that told me my accredidation was ready and I should come down to the office to pick it up.
After we returned to the hotel I went to the main office and ....struck OLYMPIC GOLD!!!!!

I have no idea how this happened but your friend, daughter, sister, cousin, workmate is now in possesion of an INFINITY PASS!!! I can't believe it!
(must be the Ski Utah clout I travel with!) How great, how exciting, holy cow!!!
Okay, gotta go...I'm feeling the need to do the Happy Dance!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

*squeeeeeeeeeeeeal*

Wonderful, wonderful! Wow, wow, wow! This is SO good!

And I'm very proud of you jumping on the subway like "no big"!

Love from
Your Cuz

PS Your Uncle is threatening to get online JUST to follow your China trip!

Anonymous said...

That is awesome! It sounds like you are having a fabulous Olympic experience and it hasn't even started. Hopefully you'll have time to use your accreditation. Robyn Orme